Monday, March 26, 2018

X Rays - Any Guesses

Today we headed off to Tacoma to visit our Repro Vet for X Rays.  I could have done it at home and my vet is awesome, but I have been worried because Nevada just isn't eating as much as I would like, or at least the way her mother ate at this stage of the game, so I felt it was worth the 2 1/2 hour drive to make sure everything is looking good.  Dr. Cindy gave us two thumbs up and said everything looks normal and I shouldn't worry so much...sorry it is just in my nature, I get very involved with my breeding program and I don't ever want to lose a single baby for any reason.  If there was something happening and I didn't do everything in my power to stop it from happening, I would never forgive myself.

She counted 7 babies and she thinks there is possibly an eighth one hiding, all look good and healthy so that is excellent news.  She also doesn't think Nevada will wait until Friday to have these babies.  So I am on extra duty watching and monitoring her.   She wants me to check her progesterone on Thursday (which means another 5 hours on the road, as we cannot get same day progesterone here in town) and based on what that number is, I should have a better idea of when they will arrive.    Dr. Cindy thinks that if it looks like they are coming on Thursday, she would like to do a c section then.  I came home and talked with my vet and we both agree it is much better to get her home and do it here, closer to home, then I am not driving home 2 1/2 hours with mom and new born babies in the van.  I will be half way home before they call me with the progesterone numbers anyway, so it is best to be closer to home for mom and babies.

Nevada has had two litters and both resulted in c sections, one because she had a single puppy and one because the puppies were so large and she just couldn't push them out with her last Bully litter.  So we have all agreed with this litter, just do a c section which will reduce her risk of tearing something or having a puppy get stuck in the canal and losing it.

So now my timeline has moved up and the chores are calling me... Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment