Friday, March 24, 2017

4 Weeks today and Lots to catch up on

First off, I am sorry It has been a while since I have posted.  I have been super crazy busy at work and that means I have had to bring some work home with me and takes away from my posting time I have had, but busy at work is a good thing so I cannot complain.  Work brings in the money so I can have fun playing with my dogs.

The puppies all have teeth coming in now and mom is not too happy about it.  She is being so good about nursing them but just not as often, so we have started them on gruel.  Gruel consists of puppy food soaked in puppy formula milk and water.  Ground up a little bit so that it is not really a paste but has some chunks of food that they have to chew.  I started them out last Friday and they were doing twice a day but now we have moved them up to eating three times a day.  They are the most mild mannered easy going puppies about food I think I have ever had.  They happily gather around the bowl, they don't push and shove and heaven forbid if someone puts a paw in it.  They take it out and hold it up in the air like - Eeewwww get it off, I don't want my foot in the food.    After they are finished I call Nevada in to do clean up.  She comes in finishes off whatever food they don't and then proceeds to clean them.  When she is done, I have to take a wet wash cloth and clean their feet and head so that all of the gruel gets off of them, otherwise it dries like a paste and makes them all crusty, I don't like my babies to be crusty.

Their little personalities are coming out.  We had our first visitation last week by one of my homes and it was love at first sight.  I love seeing families come and crawl in the box and have 7 puppies in their laps in a matter of seconds, the joy on her face was priceless and that is why I love doing this.  It is great for the pups to meet new people and have new experiences.

Yellow girl has been trying to create her own new experiences by escaping out of the whelping box, we had to add a slat into the opening making it more difficult for Nevada to get in and out, but that didn't stop her, out she went, so a second board has been added.  She is a busy little bee and is going to need a very experienced home, I can tell that already.  Even though it is still way too early to know which pups are going to go into what homes as their personalities start to come through it helps me to make decisions based on how active a home is and how active a puppy is.  Again one of the reasons, i never promise anyone a puppy until they are 7 or 8 weeks.

I know this is difficult for people to process but it is what any reputable breeder would do.  Anyone that say's oh you can come and pick your puppy doesn't have the best interest of the puppy at heart.  The only time that is going to happen is if I have two show pups and experienced show people are making the decisions about which puppy is best for their home.  I don't place puppies based on markings and if anyone tells me they don't want a puppy because of markings well then you need to go and find another breeder.  These babies are my babies, it is like saying you want to adopt a child but don't want it because it doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes.  I have never had this problem, but I currently have a good friend with a litter that is having this exact thing happen to her, it breaks my heart.  She has put her heart and soul into these babies and to have someone say, I will only take x or y puppy don't call me if I cannot have one of them.  Grrr.  Ok I will get off my soap box now - back to fun stuff.

It is still too cold and wet to have the puppies outside, so today I set up an inside area in the living room with a bigger area and x pens.  This way they will get more household noise, be part of the action and start to get used to actual sounds that happen in the house.  It was interesting to watch them in their new environement.  Yellow and Orange just wanted to get to momma who was watching the whole thing.  Pink, Red and Teal were busy exploring.  Purple took a nap and Green was trying to rearrange the blankets.  Today will be interesting to see how they handle this.  Now they are all taking a nap and time for me to get some chores done.

No comments:

Post a Comment