Saturday, May 5, 2018

5 Weeks

Took a while to get everything loaded up today as this morning was spent watching the Bernese Mountain Dog National Specialty Via live stream from Sturbridge.  Best of Breed with a beautiful line up of dogs started at 7am my time, which meant an early start getting puppies fed, weighed, cleaned up and taken care of before breed started.  I got to watch most of it until the end when we had puppy people come so I missed the very ending, but it made me very proud of our breed and how lovely the dogs I watched were today.
It wasn't until later after my puppy folks left that I was talking with a friend who is hoping to get one of these puppies to show that I realized I hadn't posted or put up the new pictures.  For that I am sorry to keep you all waiting.  To say I am super excited and happy with this litter is an understatement.  They take everything in stride, are happy to have new blood , um I mean fingers to chew on.  They get so happy and excited to go outside, they love it out there.  As soon as they are a little bit bigger, I can open up the big backyard, but for right now, they just cannot quite manage those steps into the yard. 

Larena and I are teaching them how to use a dog ramp, right now let's just say it is a hit and miss about 50% of the time they get it and 50% they don't.  They are getting much better about pooping and peeing in the grass and very few accidents on the actual deck.  I have an enclosed in puppy area off the side of my back deck and it has one small step down into a side yard that I have x-pens around so they can pee and poop down there.  My friends that were here today could not believe how smart these puppies are.  One is a Great Dane Breeder and I really think she was flabbergasted when she watched Green make his way off the deck go into the corner to poop.  She just looked at me and asked how old are they?

Nevada is still letting them nurse, not as much and she is quick to let them know when they are hurting her.  I am now feeding them 4 times a day.  6am, noon, 6pm and 10:30pm.  Sometimes they eat everything I put out and other times they leave half of it behind for mom.  My feeling on this is that is just fine.  I don't like my puppies to feel like they are starving or have to hurry and get it all, I think that just fosters bad eating habits.  I would rather them eat slowly and not worry about where their next meal is coming from.  Again my Great Dane Breeder today was amazed at how civilized they were when I fed them this afternoon and shocked at how they left 1/2 of it behind.  To me eating fast is just asking for a disaster, so this makes me happy at how slowly they are eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment