Friday, May 11, 2018

6 Weeks

I am so sorry for not posting this week.  I had planned on doing it on Wed when I was home watching the puppies but then Wed turned out to be a very bad day.  A breeders worst feeling and the thing we worry and dread the most happened, I stepped on a puppy.  It happened when I was trying to feed them and step down off the step, of course they are all screaming and crying for food and Lime got underneath me and I stepped on her front foot.  She cried, I cried it was horrible.  She was holding up her foot and just crying for all she was worth.  I managed to get their food down and pick her up and love on her, but she wanted her food at that point, so I put her down and watched as she held up her paw eating.  Every time she put it down she cried out and by now I am just beside myself.  I call my vet and blubber into the phone I stepped on Lime Girl.  Thankfully my vet follows me on Face Book as does her staff and I am well received at their office.  Kelly tells me to wait, Dr. Allen was just getting ready to leave for the day - then I hear through the phone - Susan Stepped on Lime Girl and my vet yelling, tell her to hurry up and get in here.

So the next trauma of course is making sure all the puppies will be ok for the 45 minutes or so while I race her into the vets office.  As I am climbing into my van I am thinking oh this is going to be a fun ride.  (just two days before I was thinking I need to start taking the puppies for car rides so they get used to it) no instead I drive an already traumatized puppy 20 minutes away to the Vet's office.  Really Good Susan.  We get there and she is immediately whisked out of my hands, more because they all want to love and cuddle her than worried about her well being.  Linda allows me to come back and she palpates the area, determines what is hurting and takes x rays.  It just so happens that on that particular day they had an Orthopedic Surgeon that came up to the office for some surgery's and he comes over and takes a look at the x rays.  Now he has a real sense of humor and thought he would freak me out more by saying Oh My Gosh you broke all her toes, see that - of course he is pointing to the area where her growth plates are wide open and she is supposed to look like this.  I told him nice try.  He looks it over and they both pronounce nothing is broken, it is just a soft tissue injury and she will be ok in a few days.  She gets more snuggles, I pay the bill and collect my puppy and we drive home, with her curled up in my lap on the way home sound asleep.

Yesterday and today have been spent trying to keep her calm as my vet said, she knows she is hurting and is actually doing a pretty good job of that by herself.  She has moments of not limping and then she will limp again.  I am hoping and praying that she will be herself in no time.

In the meantime,  all the other puppies are doing great, these are sweet puppies and all are growing, running playing and eating well.  We have three puppies that are now over 11 pounds, 2 at 10 pounds and one at 9 1/2 pounds.  Yellow continues to be the biggest boy, he loves his food and attention.  I cannot be on the couch as I am right now without him wanting to be picked up and loved him as he just demanded from me.  Blue Boy is very mellow and is just happy to have his belly rubbed.  Red and green are pretty busy and curious and usually in the middle of any scuffle.  Pink is the smart one, she sits back watches, she is pretty much completely potty trained and she loves my dad, her little tail wags ninety miles a minute when she seems him.

The best part about the last couple of days has been Nevada.  She wants so badly to play with the puppies but they haven't quite figured out her games yet.  Just like her mom, she keeps bringing toys outside to the puppies and drops and pounces on them.  Right now the puppies are taken back and are not quite sure why their mom is acting so weird. In the meantime it is fun to watch.

My dad came over to help take pictures tonight, not the best pictures, he does his best but doesn't have the patience that is needed to photograph puppies so they are the best I could do for now, if I can get someone that is better to help with a camera I will do them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment