Sunday, May 4, 2014

Day 2

Not much to post today other than the fact the Ivie and I are very tired.  She has been sleeping most of the day and the puppies nursing on her off and on.  Her milk still hasn't come in all the way but the puppies are maintaining their birth weight so that is good.  That is all except little teal girl.  I have been putting her on the best teat in the house for the past 24 hours and if she doesn't start gaining by this evening I will probably start supplementing her with some goat milk formula.  I hate to do this if I don't have to so here is hoping that she starts to gain.

Help in the form of sleep is on it's way - Addy Cui is a friend of mine that recently moved to Washington from Hong Kong.  Addy is fellow Bernese lover and has offered to come and do the night shift for a while.  This works well since she works remotely for a company in China and is awake from 10pm to 4am every day and is happy to sit and work next to the whelping box and make sure all is well.  This will allow me to get some much needed sleep for this fog induced stupor that I find myself in at the moment.

This morning the puppies had their first official visitor and that is Chas.  Chas is my Step brother and ADORES puppies.  He will be pestering my dad for the next 8 weeks to come and see the puppies and is the best at sitting with them.  They always seem to know that he is a gentle soul and gravitate to him.  He so desperately wanted to hold one of the puppies today but I told him they are still too little and they tend to squirm and he would feel bad if he dropped one.  He did get to pet each one and wanted to know which one was Lucy.  During our first litter - Chas thought that little Yellow Girl should be called Lucy and it stuck with us.  I told him we didn't have a Yellow girl in this litter and he was going to have to come up with another name for one of the puppies - should be interesting to see what he comes up with,  I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment