Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Big Day Today

This morning it became very apparent that Nevada didn't want to nurse the puppies, at least not as long or as much as they wanted.  They were crying and hungry so I made up puppy gruel for them and we had our first big meal.  I do mean Big!  I have never had a litter of puppies take to eating so well, they dove in and figured out the concept very fast, they also ate almost every last bit and then topped it off with a visit from Nevada after she had cleaned everyone from head to toe.

I did take some pictures and although it is very late as I am typing this, I will try and get those pictures downloaded from my camera in the morning so you can see them.

Today Charlee's mom and dad came to pick her up, she was very happy and I think Nevada was happy to see her leave.    Monica and Ken had a great visit with the puppies, so they had a big day of socialization with new people and were pretty tired after they left.   Charlee was very happy to see mom and Nevada is happy to have her entire house back without gates to keep Charlee away from the babies, this means that Nevada doesn't have to wait for someone to open a gate and she can come and go into the puppy room as she wants, this makes one very happy momma.

What made Nevada even happier though was the puppies getting to go outside for their first big outdoor adventure.  The weather was lovely this afternoon in the 70's and so I felt it was a good time to take them outside.  We carried them out and Nevada was rolling and lounging in the grass with them, I swear she was smiling from ear to ear, as if to tell me it was about time I took them outside. 

They were curious, ate some grass, sniffed bugs, climbed up and on the small step that goes into the puppy yard and drank milk and played with each other, we even had some piddling and pooping outside, which is always a good thing.  When we brought them back into the whelping box a couple of hours later, they literally all fell asleep exactly where we put them.  Lots of stimulation makes for tired puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment