Monday, April 2, 2018

Peanut has gained an ounce

I know that doesn't seem like much but when she has been steadily losing weight since birth, any gain is a gain and I will take it.  I think we have a game plan that seems to be working.  Every two hours I pull out a warm towel from the dryer that has been warming it up and then I wrap her in it and get her good and warm for 20 minutes, usually this is me laying on the cot with her resting against my heart.  Then I tube feed her and another 20 minutes resting in the warm towels against me.  At that time her taste buds have kicked into gear and I put her on momma for as long as she wants and I have been watching like a hawk that she doesn't get kicked away by her siblings and sitting out in the whelping box all alone.   When Nevada's milk lets down, I have to literally hold her head to a nipple so that she doesn't get pushed aside by the other pups.

Her vocal cords are working well and if she does get pushed out, she lets me know.  Last night in the middle of the night I heard one of them barking, I couldn't figure out who it was but this morning I heard it again, green boy has learned how to use his vocal cords as well.  Cracks me up hearing this little teeny bark coming out of these puppies.

Nevada still doesn't want to eat, I have been trying everything, she will eat a little bit of something and then turn up her nose at it - We go into the vets office this afternoon at 2pm to have dew claws removed.  All but little wee one - I will not do hers, it is just two stressful on her little body, so she will have all of her dew claws.    When we go in, I am going to see if Linda has any ideas about what I can do for Nevada.  Not sure if she is still nauseated and if so, can I give her pepcid or what is going on.  I am going to order some raw food and see if that gets her taste buds moving again.  If anyone has any ideas, I am all for it.  She  won't touch chicken or anything to do with chicken,  I have tried bone broth, cottage cheese, eggs, potatoes, she ate a little bit of canned rabbit yesterday.  She didn't like oatmeal.  She was eating Satin balls, but then those lost their enticement, goats milk.  She will still eat vanilla ice cream.  Like I said, open to ideas, so if you have any - let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment