Sunday, April 1, 2018

He is a She

So apparently my friends Mona, Linda, Terri & Susan don't know the difference between a boy and a girl.  During the c section they were on one table and I asked them what they all had and they all said four boys - I am going to call out Linda who was taking care of the wee little one in question.  So I was busy trying to revive the one puppy that didn't make it and later taking care of mom, never looked at the sex of the puppies.  I have been a little bit busy at home, trying to keep wee little one alive and hadn't checked the sex of this puppy until this morning when I was on a phone call with Anne and she asked me to check something, when I noticed that Stuart Little's plumbing was all wrong, he is a she.

She has not been doing so well, I have been tube feeding her every two hours throughout the night - to say I am tired is an understatement, but more concerned for her well being than mine at this point.  We just got back from meeting my vet at her clinic - bless her for coming in on Easter Sunday and she gave her some sub q fluids and sent me home with some showing me what to do throughout the day.  I was able to talk with a good breeder friend of mine, that had a similiar type of a situation a couple of years ago.  She gave me some very valuable advise and for right now, I am seeing a turn around and she has already gained 1/2 an ounce since this morning.  Considering she kept on losing weight, this is the first gain since she has been born, so I am super happy about that. 

The remaining puppies are all doing great!  Momma's milk has come in and they are all gaining weight.  I like to weigh my puppies twice a day for the first two weeks, I find it really is the only way to know for sure that they are doing well and if one isn't doing as well as the others, you can give that puppy a little more TLC or make sure they are on the good nipple.  Nice thing about 7 puppies is that they are all pretty much good nipples, although some are always better than others.

I will keep you posted on the peanut's progress, but for now, I am hopeful that we have turned things around.

No comments:

Post a Comment