Thursday, December 5, 2019

Happy 2 and 3 Week Birthday

Lady Bug is 2 pounds!  It's the little things that make me happy these days.  She is doing so well and is a tough little thing.  She gets latched on to mom and no matter how much the big ones push and try they cannot knock her off, which makes me so happy.  I have a feeling she is going to the feisty one of the group and she deserves that honor with everything we have been through.

I have been talking to quite a few breeder friends about Mint Girl, and one of my friends in Colorado had a puppy very similar to her, he ended up being deaf and is living the good life with her Vet.  She said that he had made a turn around when he was 4 months old when they had to put him on antibiotics for something else and she thought I should try antibiotics for Mint now to see if we can get her on the right path earlier.  I reached out to my vet, and she agreed that it certainly couldn't hurt her.  Not sure if it is hopeful thinking but Larena and I really think she is a little bit better and not throwing her head around as much, and is actually able to latch on to mom a little bit better after two doses.  I am trying anything and everything I can to give her a good quality of life and of course time will only tell.  Tonight I also dug out my little heart puppy plush toy that I have used on my singletons in the past.  It is a toy that has a little heart that you turn on and stuff inside the toy.  When she couldn't settle down, I put the toy down next to her and she fell right asleep.

The rest of the Kenya's babies are all thriving and doing well.  Their eyes are starting to peek open, they have the frenzy when mom comes into the box and Kenya is starting to sit when they nurse rather than lay down, which makes it hard for Mint, but she is managing.  They are also all outgrowing their collars so they will be changed today for when we do pictures.

The Big puppies, oh my gosh, what can I say.  They are getting to be a rowdy bunch.  They have been having a hard time settling down and I decided they are probably too warm.  Opened up a window in their room for a few minutes and they all crashed.    So I have moved the portable heater into the whelping room for the little puppies and turned down the thermostat in the house so it is more to the big pups and my pocketbook's liking.

They are getting more and more fun to watch, playing more, interacting with each other and all want to escape out of the whelping box.  My dad brought up new boards to go across so we can make the opening harder for them, but this also makes it harder for mom to get in and out too.  Vegas is super mom, apparently the 4th meal of the day is having a great impact on her milk because they hardly even want a bottle anymore,  I think we are down to topping off 3 or 4 times in a 24 hour period rather than after each feeding, so life is getting easier for me.

Today we will get new pictures for you and they will be up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment