Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Dew Claws, Double Dew Claws and No Dew Claws

Yesterday was a big day for the puppies.  My vet (who is amazing by the way) said to bring them in on Sunday - yes Sunday at 2pm and we would be able to do dew claws.  I think she actually prefers it this way, after hours, because I can go in back with her, where she has better lighting, hold the puppies and no one is around to bother her during the process.

This is the first time I had puppies with Double dew claws - two of them had knarley looking dew claws on the rear, and two others had what she called 1 1/2 dew claws, 2 that had normal dew claws and four that had none, again a first for me.  It will be interesting to see what Kenya's puppies produce and if this is a Cuervo trait or not.

She also checked over Vegas and decided we should put her on some antibiotics just to be on the safe side and gave me some medicam because she has been pretty uncomfortable the last couple of days.  I am checking her regularly and no redness on her teats but she gets really warm and wants to go outside, dig herself to China and lay in the dirt.  She starts digging and I tell her no and she just looks at me, like go ahead and turn your back because the minute you do, I am heading to China and you know it.  I have started to put some wet towels in the freezer and when she gets fussy like this, I have her lay on the couch and put a cold towel on her, which she relaxes and is happy about.  Everything is a learning curve and with each girl it seems to be something different.

I have been supplementing the puppies with formula, even though her milk is in, it is just not enough to feed these 10 babies.  We constantly have a list by the whelping box and mark down the time, the color and how much they are getting so that we can rotate them around, getting as much of mom's milk into them as possible but just topping them off with the formula.

Kenya is still not showing any signs of labor and is quite content to sleep on the couch right now, although I am pretty sure she was jealous that Vegas got a big bowl of ice cream and she didn't this morning.  I told her as soon as she has her babies I will give her a big bowl of ice cream too.  The girls need calcium and the ice cream is cooling, has some sugar which they need and who doesn't love Vanilla Ice Cream.

We had our first visitor today - my son and his girlfriend, he knows the ropes, only clean clothes, no shoes and wash your hands.  He had to laugh as he opened up the refrigerator and said - yep looks like a dog refrigerator, Are you taking care of yourself at all?  Point well taken as I am still coughing up a storm from this stupid airplane cold I got, but hopefully I am on the mend from that.

Picture today is White Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment