Monday, November 25, 2019

Lady Bug

Yesterday was Dew Claw day for Kenya's litter, my vet wanted me to come in at noon, right during the Seahawk Game so I couldn't ask anyone to come and watch Vegas' litter while Larena and I took Kenya and the babies to the vet.  Normally I like to have someone in the car with mom while I am in the vets office getting the dew claws removed.   I didn't want to Leave Vegas' litter unattended so Larena stayed home, Kenya and I went in with her babies and I left the football game on the radio for Kenya to keep tabs on what was happening while I went in with the babies.  Kenya wasn't happy about me leaving with her babies but once I returned back with them all was right in her world again.

We only had two pups in this litter that had double rear dew claws, so I am thinking this is a dad thing, as I have never had them before and ended up with them on both sets of litters.  I debated about whether or not we should even take off Lady Bugs, she has been the smallest of the puppies and continues to lose weight which is not a good thing.  My vet looked her over and said yes we should take them off and she would give them all sub q fluids to help them get through this.

When we returned home, all pups were happily nursing on mom through the afternoon.  I went to bed early and Larena woke me at Midnight very concerned about Lady Bug, she just wasn't latching on to mom, wouldn't take a bottle or suckle from a sponge.  So glad she woke me and I have been in constant motion with that little girl from midnight to 5 this morning.  10 minutes on the heating pad, 10 minutes in my lap with a sponge dipped in formula and me simulating the sucking motion for her, then the heating pad, back to the sponge.  After an hour, I brought Vegas in, had her lay on the bed and put the puppy on her, she suckled on Vegas for a few minutes than ran out of energy.  Another hour of heating pad, sponge, heating pad, sponge, Vegas, heating pad, sponge, you get the idea.  At 5 am I had to break down and tube feed her, I hate tube feeding, but I am not going to lose this little girl, dammit, she is a fighter and I know it, I just need to get her over this hurdle.  After giving her 2 ounces of formula and on the heating pad for 10 minutes she seems to have more energy.  I have her back on mom for the time being and she is trying to suckle.  I will tube her again in another hour if she hasn't really latched on by then.

For those of you that don't know what tube feeding is, it is taking a small (very small in this case) tube and coaxing it down her throat into her belly and then attaching a syringe and slowly pushing the food directly into her stomach.  It doesn't hurt them, but the danger is getting it down the wrong pipe and putting the food into their lungs instead of their stomach.  I have had to do it in the past, I hate doing it and it scares the crap out of me every time I do it, so I will try anything else I can before resorting to those measures, but right now as I am typing next to the whelping box, she has renewed energy and is actually nursing on mom, which is a good thing.

Kenya is being amazing, she knows her baby isn't doing well and she knows we are trying to help.  She didn't even falter or hesitate when I brought Vegas into her room and put her baby on her, it was as if she knew this was what needed to happen.  Vegas knew she was needed and she keeps coming in to check on the babies every 1/2 hour or so to make sure she isn't needed again.  I cannot say enough, how much I love my girls, they are the absolute best.

I have a feeling it is going to be a long day watching lady bug and making sure she continues to thrive.  We sure could use everyone's prayers and I hope I can give you a better report tomorrow.

Today's picture is Lady Bug nursing on Vegas

No comments:

Post a Comment