Sunday, November 24, 2019

Vegas to the Rescue

Lime Girl is getting stronger each day and can almost right herself back when she gets in the turtle position, so this is excellent news and I am hopeful that she will continue to improve and thrive.

Kenya's milk seems to have let down, this is also wonderful news.  Puppies tend to lose weight the first 48 to 72 hours and it is one of the hardest parts about breeding.  There is a fine line of supplementing the puppies with formula so they don't get too weak and yet not supplementing so that moms milk comes in.  It was an easy decision to make with Vegas, 10 puppies 8 teats, not enough no matter what I do.  With Kenya 8 puppies, 8 teats, good colostrum so I chose not to and they are small right now.  Yesterday I tried to supplement the three smaller girls with a bottle but they would not take it and I was getting worried with their weights - so Vegas came to the rescue.

Cindy was here and so she took Vegas out to the living room, I took one of Kenya's babies and we put her on Vegas to nurse.  Vegas wanted to clean her, but we wouldn't let her and she latched on for a good 15 minutes.  Then I took her back to Kenya, rubbing her on KK before I put her down.  KK wasn't worried a bit and we did that with the three smallest girls.  I think having mom's milk or in this case aunties milk was better than formula and it looks like they are starting to turn the corner, which is a good thing, considering they are getting their dew claws removed today.

Cindy helped clipped toenails for everyone and stayed with the babies so I could run out and do some errands.  I ended up changing some of the ribbons on Kenya's Litter so that we could tell them all apart when they are all going to be in the same pen at a later date.  Silver became Grey (because I didn't like the ribbon texture) Maroon became Lt Blue, Lavender became Turquoise.

Vegas' litter is continuing to grow and thrive, Boy what a difference a week makes on these guys, they now smell mom when she comes in and the frenzy to get to the milk bar is quite something.  Their eyes are still not open and I expect to start to see slits any day now, but they are trying to get up and walk around, they are very strong and it is quite funny when Vegas comes in the box.  Their little noses start twitching and they start moving towards the milk bar, they all clamber up for a nipple and inevitably someone gets knocked off and they roll down the pile and try again, wish I could get a video of them on here, but haven't figured out how to do that yet.  Still having problems just trying to change pictures, LOL

Today's picture is Lime boy in a milk coma

No comments:

Post a Comment