Saturday, November 30, 2019

Trying to find my energy and getting organized

My dad called me yesterday and asked me how my day had gone.  Pretty much like this - Got up at 4am, Fed little puppies,  Fed Big Puppies, Fed Really Big Puppies (Dallas, Vegas & Kenya), Fed myself.  Weighed puppies, cleaned bedding, Fed Little puppies, Fed Big puppies, did some laundry, Fed Kenya and Vegas,  Ran into Town for an errand, Fed Little puppies, Fed Big Puppies, Took a Nap, Fed Little Puppies, Fed Big Puppies, Fed Really Big Puppies... Went to Bed... Really boring stuff.

I think it is all catching up with me, yesterday I was just exhausted and the act of driving into town was so tiring and I keep thinking this will get better and I will be able to do some work and I am sure I will soon, but right now, I am taking full advantage of Thanksgiving weekend.

The Big puppies are just growing so fast and are now starting to interact with each other, my goal for the day is to pull out some puppy toys and put them into the whelping box for them.  Vegas is being a good mom and I tell her she needs to go feed her puppies, she just looks at me, like really, do I have to.  They can suck down 3 ounces of formula in nothing flat so I can only imagine how she must feel.  I cannot start supplementing them with puppy food for another week and I am sure in her mind that cannot happen soon enough

Kenya's babies are also growing are starting to smell her when she comes into the whelping box.  We are supplementing them as well, not quite as much but just to give Kenya a bit of a break.  We have found it also helps Mint Girl, if we can put her on a bottle, she doesn't get knocked of a nipple as easy and she is much more content with a full belly.  Lady Bug has her favorite back nipple and I put her on it and she holds on for dear life, isn't going to let go for nothing.

The antibiotics are kicking in for Kenya and I think she is finally starting to feel better.  She is eating well which for her is a good thing.  She is a princess and feels that she needs to have a variety of food at all times, not just when she has babies.  I found the trick though - Goats Milk if I poor goats milk over her food she will eat every last morsel.

I ordered a big bag of puppy food so that I will have it on hand for next weekend when we start the babies out on mush and trying to stay ahead of the game in regards to what I need on hand.  I received the new puppy gating that I purchased for the living room and today I think I will try and set it up just to see what I need and how it will all work out.  I know I will need a couple of big tarps to put under everything and I need to go out and find my rabbit hutch liners that I use as Potty Boxes since the best time to start potty training them is when they make the move into the living room.  In the past I have used shavings and different types of pellets which were a pain in the ass.  Someone on a forum mentioned alfalfa pellets for the litter box and I think I might try that.  Seems to me that they would smell more like grass and they said they were less expensive than wood pellets, so now I just need to get down to the local feed store and see if I can get some.

No comments:

Post a Comment