Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Not Out of the Woods Yet

Lady Bug did much better yesterday after tubing her through the night.  She rallied, was nursing off of mom and we were able to supplement her with a bottle throughout the day.  She is still not gaining weight and tonight she is back to not thriving again.  I tube fed her at 1:30 this morning and will do so again at 3:30 and hoping that she pulls through this.  It is certainly taking a village and thank God for my village.

My son and his girlfriend came up yesterday, John worked outside and chopped wood, stacked it on the front porch, picked up my generator that had been at the shop getting a tune up for winter and loaded it on the back porch so now we are ready for any winter storms, should I lose power, it won't mean lugging 18 puppies and 2 moms to the motorhome to keep warm, LOL!  Not sure my motorhome could handle that.  Just having these little things done is a big relief, we had a big windstorm the other night and lights flickered off and on and I just kept thinking, please don't let the power go out, I have puppies.

Erin helped Larena with puppies, while I tried to catnap through the day.  I am pretty sure Erin thought she was in heaven and she is pretty smitten with a couple of Vegas' babies.  Orange boy climbed in her lap and slept for at least an hour on her legs.  She said she has quite a bit of free time and can come up more often in December when Larena has to leave us for a while.  I am not looking forward to that, she is my pet sitter and had taken on another assignment from the 9th of December to the 8th of January.  She said she can come up for about 3 hours a day during that time, but I am going to miss having her here.  As long as I can get these puppies of Kenya's thriving like Vegas' puppies before she leaves I should be ok with the folks that have offered to come up and help.

Vegas' puppies are doing awesome, we now have the major frenzy when mom comes into the box and it is interesting to watch them.  They know she is there and since their eyes are not open yet, their little noses just twitch and they stumble over each other like drunken sailors.  I think mom's odor must bounce off the sides of the whelping box because tonight I watched most of the puppies turn towards the box and then make an about face to follow scent to mom.  For those that do nose work with their dogs, you will understand what is happening and I find it very interesting to watch as this is taking place.  The sense of smell is an amazing thing.  Their pigment is coming in on their little noses and they are growing like weeds.

All of Kenya's babies are thriving and gaining weight except for  Lady Bug and Mint.  Mint at least will take the bottle when offered and she does get herself on a nipple, but continues to go around in circles and get herself upside down as a turtle, time will tell if she is going to be special needs or if this will correct itself.  I have a doggie chiropractor that is going to stop by early December and hopefully it will just be a minor adjustment needed from being in a squished in utero. 

I have not given up on Lady Bug, I will say I am getting much more confident in tube feeding, it still scares the crap out of me, but I will continue to do it as long as needed.  I had really hoped that when I went to bed yesterday that I would wake up to Larena telling me that she had gained weight and was holding her own, but that is not the case, so prayers are still needed for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment